Skip to main content

Yawn

Source: Catriona Ward
I made a point last week of getting a decent amount of sleep each night. I didn't quite get eight hours a night, but I came pretty close. This was partly because I wanted to improve my sleep schedule, but it was also partly because, over the weekend, I decided that I was going to stay awake for 40 hours straight.

Now, I'd pulled all-nighters before. I knew what it meant to stay up into the wee hours of the morning. But every time I did that, I would get to sleep pretty quickly the day after. Before this past weekend, I don't think I'd ever stayed up for more than maybe 20 hours at a time.

Oh, before I really begin, I should tell you: please don't do this. It's not good for you. Get some sleep!

So, I woke up at around 8 AM on Saturday, and I spent the day doing, well, not much of anything. Most of my friends had gone home over the weekend, so I spent the day mostly just hanging out. I'd read a book, play some video games, check the news, intermittently do Calc homework; just the usual things I do when I'm bored. It was an almost entirely uneventful day, and I hadn't been awake for long enough to start to feel tired yet.

That night was (as expected) pretty normal too. I did some Comp Sci homework, and tried for probably the ninth or tenth time to learn to use Blender (a 3D modeling program like 3DS Max or Maya). Maybe this time it'll stick. By about midnight, I was finally starting to feel tired; this actually happened later than I thought it would. It's amazing what a few good nights' sleep can do.

As the morning hours ticked by, I realized I needed something to do that would keep me occupied for quite some time. After all, almost a full 24 hours remained before I was allowed to fall back asleep, and I certainly wouldn't make it sitting in one place. So I decided to clean.

I started with my backpack and desk: organizing papers, throwing out trash, sorting loose change into neat piles. Then I moved on to my closet, dresser, and shelves. Once I was all done sorting books and dusting surfaces, I did my laundry. By this point it was about 7 AM. Interestingly, I didn't feel tired anymore. It's something that seems to happen if I stay up for more than 24 hours; I'm full of energy, but with all the clumsiness and lack of focus caused by sleep deprivation.

Once my laundry was done (I took a break to eat while waiting), I cleaned up the rest of the detritus on my half of the floor and vacuumed. That took me to about noon. By this point, I was starting to zone out quite a bit. It's like, when you're working on homework, and you're just writing without thinking, except it would just happen as I was walking around my room.

After a shower and some lunch, I decided to take a walk over to Target. I didn't actually end up buying anything, I just needed to get outside and moving. It was an interesting walk; I kept having to take off and put on my jacket, because my body temperature was being really weird.

The rest of the afternoon was mostly uneventful. I studied a bit for Physics (tried to, anyway), and listened to some podcasts. Nothing much changed in how I felt.

I ate dinner, and then came the moment I dreaded: at 8:00 PM on Sunday, I had to video chat with my parents. It was an... interesting experience. They obviously wouldn't like me staying up for so long, intentionally or unintentionally, so I did my best to hide it. They still noticed I was tired, but I don't think they caught on to how tired I actually was in the relatively short conversation we had (Google Hangouts glitched out after only 10 minutes or so).

Then, at 10, came the hallucinations.These were auditory hallucinations, mind you. My vision was still fine, if a bit hard to focus. But I would hear my name called out of the corner of my ear, or hear a musical note where there obviously was none. It was a really weird experience, and it freaked me out a bit the first few times I thought I heard someone from the hallway, but overall it wasn't too bad.

And then, finally, at 12 AM on Sunday night, I collapsed into my bed.

Comments

  1. This was such a funny post! I cannot believe you decided and did stay up for 40 hours straight! I would never be able to do so. The hallucinations part was scary, but also funny. Props to you for actually staying up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way I would have willingly stayed up for 24 hours straight. Wow. I'm a strong believer in eight hours of sleep a night and I know what staying up does to my body.. it's just not good. I stayed up for a good 16 hours during THON weekend, and I know exactly what you mean about the body temperature thing. It's almost like you're getting really sick but you're just that sleep deprived. This was an interesting post, but it hurts me a bit. You should take a nap everyday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My god I love sleep too much to do something like this to my body....willingly anyway. I had one night of sleep where I woke up and then just couldn't fall back asleep. I ended up going to bed at a relatively normal 9-10pm, waking up at 3am...then staying awake till 5am. And uh, I had an 8am class that morning too. Let's just say I didn't make that 8am class after falling back asleep... I think it was really interesting you got the auditory hallucinations at 40 hours, and I'm surprised they weren't worse. I knew someone who'd see floating numbers and colors when he was sleep deprived. It was an entertaining experience watching him space out like he was high. Get yourself back into your circadian rhythm and I'm sure you'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

At Long Last!

Source: Dafne Cholet This Sunday I did... nothing in particular. It was just a normal Sunday. Finally. In practice, it was actually pretty similar to the first week of the blog; I had a bunch of math homework to do. But having the choice to do something else made a huge difference. That's not to say that every Sunday this semester has been bad; in fact, many were far from it. Those days when I simply consumed media, whether it be through reading, watching a movie, or playing a video game were enjoyable enough, for at least most of the day. And some Sundays were downright productive; the day when I did nothing but homework genuinely gave me a head start on Physics 213. But I think the most fun (and occasionally the most painful) days were the weird ones. Standing, playing French horn (though that one wasn't quite a day), writing, coding, lacking sleep. They were all new, and that made them interesting. Until now, I wasn't entirely sure why I did this. Why spend

10 Hours of Homework; or, 5 Hours of Learning

I suppose I should start by explaining what this blog even is. I like to think of myself as a relatively productive person. Despite this, I recently noticed that, with amazing consistency, I spent my Sundays lazing around in my dorm room, doing absolutely nothing of substance. This blog is my little experiment into changing that. Every Sunday of this semester, I am going to do one thing, and only one thing, for the entire day. Other than reasonable breaks for meals and hygiene, I will spend every free moment of my day (totaling about 10 hours on a typical Sunday) devoted to that one thing. I’ll start the semester with activities that one might realistically do for an entire day, like doing homework or watching a TV show, and explore stranger and stranger possibilities as the semester continues. My goal is to document the effects that these activities have on my mental, and in some cases physical, state, providing for you content that is both humorous and interesting. And hey,

Ardui-No Thank You

A screenshot of the Arduino IDE This post requires a bit of background before I jump in. I'm in a club here at Penn State called the Student Space Program Laboratory (SSPL for short). It's pretty much what it sounds like: a space program for students at Penn State. It's most heavily targeted at aerospace engineering students, but students from other disciplines like mechanical or electrical engineering are more than welcome. Now, I should make it clear that the club isn't launching Penn State students, or cars, or anything terribly exciting into space; it's mostly just small satellites. But, still, it's pretty darn cool to have anything in space. But I digress. I'm not actually working on anything this semester that will be shot into space, or even attached to a rocket of an appreciable size. Instead, I'm doing the Student Training Program, or STP. New members of the club are split into groups, and each group designs a payload for a small mod