Skip to main content

I can't stand it!

Source: Kirsti I.
I was faced with a bit of a predicament this past Sunday: I had to go to Best Buy for some packaging materials. It's a solid 50 minute walk away. How would I do one thing for the entire day? And then it dawned on me: what if I just went through my day like I otherwise would, except I never sat down? So, I spent the entire day standing.

My morning was mostly usual: I woke up, did some laundry, and cleaned up my room. All stuff I usually do on my feet anyway. I got a sub for lunch, and ate it in my room as I checked the day's news. It was kind of strange eating standing up, having to move the sub so far from the plate to my face, but other than that, it was pretty much like any other Sunday.

Then, in the afternoon, I walked to Best Buy. Now, if you're ever going to walk somewhere 50 minutes away, the one thing you should do beforehand is check the weather.

It had already started snowing when I left my dorm.


I took Allen Street out to North Atherton Street. A little while after leaving campus, the sidewalks were covered in snow, so I switched to the road. By that point, any cars left on Allen had pulled into their driveways, and most of the pedestrians were gone, too. The solitude brought on by the snow contrasted sharply with the usual hustle and bustle of campus, and the experience had almost a certain serenity, helped by the occasionally strange houses lining the street. It was a feeling I was familiar with, having spent many a day out in the snow in middle and high school, but I had forgotten just what it was like.

After getting onto North Atherton, the rest of the walk was pretty boring. Best Buy didn't end up having what I needed; neither did Staples or Walmart. Oh well.

On the walk back, the snow had accumulated enough that the serenity brought on by new snow was replaced with inconvenience. I was glad to get back into the warmth of my room.

The rest of the day was largely uneventful; I did some homework, watched some TV, ate a burrito, and didn't sit down until it was time to go to bed. It's weird, I expected that my legs would be killing me by the end of the day, but they actually felt fine. The most unpleasant part of the day was not the feeling of my legs, but rather just how inconvenient it was to stand up.

When trying to do routine tasks, like writing, browsing the Internet, or eating, it became abundantly clear that my dorm room was not designed for standing. There are no surfaces at the proper level for these things; I had to do my homework on a clipboard, and when on my laptop I had to crane my head down uncomfortably. As I mentioned previously, it was odd having to move food so far from the plate to my mouth. In fact, by the end of the day my arms were more tired than my legs.

As far as I can tell, forcing yourself to stand all day doesn't really have any significant positive effects. I didn't feel more lively, it didn't help me be more productive, and all it resulted in was tired arms and a sore neck. So don't do it.

Also, make sure to check the weather.

Comments

  1. Walking to Best Buy -- that's a hike! Your experiences on your blog embolden me to try new (and odd) things, Louis! I had a physician friend once tell me that "sitting is the new smoking." So, even if standing all day didn't seem to have any significant positive side effects, you can stand tall (bad pun, I know!) knowing that you weren't sedentary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

At Long Last!

Source: Dafne Cholet This Sunday I did... nothing in particular. It was just a normal Sunday. Finally. In practice, it was actually pretty similar to the first week of the blog; I had a bunch of math homework to do. But having the choice to do something else made a huge difference. That's not to say that every Sunday this semester has been bad; in fact, many were far from it. Those days when I simply consumed media, whether it be through reading, watching a movie, or playing a video game were enjoyable enough, for at least most of the day. And some Sundays were downright productive; the day when I did nothing but homework genuinely gave me a head start on Physics 213. But I think the most fun (and occasionally the most painful) days were the weird ones. Standing, playing French horn (though that one wasn't quite a day), writing, coding, lacking sleep. They were all new, and that made them interesting. Until now, I wasn't entirely sure why I did this. Why spend

10 Hours of Homework; or, 5 Hours of Learning

I suppose I should start by explaining what this blog even is. I like to think of myself as a relatively productive person. Despite this, I recently noticed that, with amazing consistency, I spent my Sundays lazing around in my dorm room, doing absolutely nothing of substance. This blog is my little experiment into changing that. Every Sunday of this semester, I am going to do one thing, and only one thing, for the entire day. Other than reasonable breaks for meals and hygiene, I will spend every free moment of my day (totaling about 10 hours on a typical Sunday) devoted to that one thing. I’ll start the semester with activities that one might realistically do for an entire day, like doing homework or watching a TV show, and explore stranger and stranger possibilities as the semester continues. My goal is to document the effects that these activities have on my mental, and in some cases physical, state, providing for you content that is both humorous and interesting. And hey,

Ardui-No Thank You

A screenshot of the Arduino IDE This post requires a bit of background before I jump in. I'm in a club here at Penn State called the Student Space Program Laboratory (SSPL for short). It's pretty much what it sounds like: a space program for students at Penn State. It's most heavily targeted at aerospace engineering students, but students from other disciplines like mechanical or electrical engineering are more than welcome. Now, I should make it clear that the club isn't launching Penn State students, or cars, or anything terribly exciting into space; it's mostly just small satellites. But, still, it's pretty darn cool to have anything in space. But I digress. I'm not actually working on anything this semester that will be shot into space, or even attached to a rocket of an appreciable size. Instead, I'm doing the Student Training Program, or STP. New members of the club are split into groups, and each group designs a payload for a small mod