Skip to main content

Following the Script


Source: pixabay

This Sunday, I decided that I needed to do something more active, more engaging, more creative than what I'd been doing in previous weeks. I needed to create something. So, I decided that I was going to write all day.

Of course, I'd already written all day at many points in my life. Research papers, application essays, you name it, I procrastinated and then crammed the writing. So I needed to do something different this past Sunday. Something more creative. I'm not amazing at creative writing, but hey, this is stuff that probably under 20 people will see, so might as well throw care into the wind.

I decided to write a screenplay.

That's right. I'm one of those assholes who thinks they can write a screenplay.

It's nowhere near done, of course. A day isn't enough time for something like this. But it might be finished, someday. Maybe I'll even post it on this blog, as an addendum to a future post.

This is actually something I've been thinking about doing for a while now. Not so much because I have any aspirations to be a screenwriter, but just to see what tackling a large, creative project like this entails. It turns out, it's really freaking hard.

Getting ideas was the easy part. I've been jotting down ideas for movies on paper scraps, post-it notes, and Google Docs for years now; I just had to choose one. I settled on a time travel story, a la Primer or Time Lapse. The initial idea hinged on a group of people who go back in time to steal items from the present that would end up being rare and valuable in the future. It was a little half-baked, and I ended up making a lot of changes to the initial idea, but it gave me something to start with.

Then I needed some characters. Luckily, I already had these, as well; I had come up with them when I first wrote the idea down. There are three main characters: two are a rather unhappy husband and wife, and the other is their roommate (money's rather tight in the future).

The husband and wife are both researchers, and they used to live a comfortable life, but a massive recession (again, the future) took their livelihood away, and they had to turn to the world of crime to make ends meet. The husband despises this decision, refusing to acknowledge his wife's work, but has no qualms about using this ill-gotten money to purchase new scientific equipment. He's pretty shitty. His wife is much more practical, and she is at the end of her rope with his behavior. Both of them are vying for influence over their younger roommate, who they view as almost a child of theirs, but he/she (I haven't decided on the gender here yet) wants nothing to do with either of them.

Of course, this is all before they discover time travel. After they discover time travel, the plot starts. I won't share the plot yet; it's not entirely finalized yet, and my blog has a very strict spoiler policy.

And then I had to start writing the thing. This part went quite a bit more smoothly than I expected; I actually ended up cranking out a good 10 pages of screenplay (note: this is not equal to a 10-page essay). Of course, I started with the easier scenes, those which I had already thought through. If I continue this, I suspect that it will get far, far harder as I go on.

So do I recommend writing a screenplay? Yeah. Go for it. Unless you've actually studied film extensively, it probably won't be good; it'll be poorly paced and full of cliches. But it's also pretty fun, and it can be a nice break from the more formal writing that we do in class.


Comments

  1. This is so interesting! I think it's awesome that you attempted to write a screenplay that ended up being about 10 pages! I would never be able to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louis, this is a really cool idea. I know for me, coming from a technical major and technical interests, I find it really relaxing to take my weekends and just do something creative. I really like to read and paint; I'm actually a pretty good artist, but I think a screenplay would be something really fun to tackle. I hope you keep working on the thing; maybe we'll see it at the movie theatre someday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

At Long Last!

Source: Dafne Cholet This Sunday I did... nothing in particular. It was just a normal Sunday. Finally. In practice, it was actually pretty similar to the first week of the blog; I had a bunch of math homework to do. But having the choice to do something else made a huge difference. That's not to say that every Sunday this semester has been bad; in fact, many were far from it. Those days when I simply consumed media, whether it be through reading, watching a movie, or playing a video game were enjoyable enough, for at least most of the day. And some Sundays were downright productive; the day when I did nothing but homework genuinely gave me a head start on Physics 213. But I think the most fun (and occasionally the most painful) days were the weird ones. Standing, playing French horn (though that one wasn't quite a day), writing, coding, lacking sleep. They were all new, and that made them interesting. Until now, I wasn't entirely sure why I did this. Why spend

10 Hours of Homework; or, 5 Hours of Learning

I suppose I should start by explaining what this blog even is. I like to think of myself as a relatively productive person. Despite this, I recently noticed that, with amazing consistency, I spent my Sundays lazing around in my dorm room, doing absolutely nothing of substance. This blog is my little experiment into changing that. Every Sunday of this semester, I am going to do one thing, and only one thing, for the entire day. Other than reasonable breaks for meals and hygiene, I will spend every free moment of my day (totaling about 10 hours on a typical Sunday) devoted to that one thing. I’ll start the semester with activities that one might realistically do for an entire day, like doing homework or watching a TV show, and explore stranger and stranger possibilities as the semester continues. My goal is to document the effects that these activities have on my mental, and in some cases physical, state, providing for you content that is both humorous and interesting. And hey,

Ardui-No Thank You

A screenshot of the Arduino IDE This post requires a bit of background before I jump in. I'm in a club here at Penn State called the Student Space Program Laboratory (SSPL for short). It's pretty much what it sounds like: a space program for students at Penn State. It's most heavily targeted at aerospace engineering students, but students from other disciplines like mechanical or electrical engineering are more than welcome. Now, I should make it clear that the club isn't launching Penn State students, or cars, or anything terribly exciting into space; it's mostly just small satellites. But, still, it's pretty darn cool to have anything in space. But I digress. I'm not actually working on anything this semester that will be shot into space, or even attached to a rocket of an appreciable size. Instead, I'm doing the Student Training Program, or STP. New members of the club are split into groups, and each group designs a payload for a small mod