Skip to main content

Words, Words, Words


There's nothing quite like cozying up with a good book and a mug of coffee, turning on a reading lamp, and disappearing into a story.

That's what I did the Sunday before last, for eight hours. It was decidedly uncozy.

It should be said that there were a few circumstances that conspired to make the day a miserable experience. I was rather sleep-deprived; I'd had trouble sleeping the previous night, and I hadn't really slept well for the whole week before that, either. On top of that, I was in the middle of a nasty cold.

But these things aren't usually huge problems if I'm doing what I like. And the book I chose was Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov, the second book in the Foundation series. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, so I anticipated that I would like this one, as well. And, at least from the parts I can remember, it was even more enjoyable than the first book (more on that pesky "remembering" thing later).

For the first few hours, the experience definitely lived up to my expectations. It had been a while since I'd just sat down and lost myself in a book for a few hours, and I had forgotten how relaxing it could be. I went into lunch feeling confident about the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, the problems started, as they so often do, as the experience dragged into its 4th or 5th hour. If you've ever tried to study a dense textbook while on a sleep deficit, then you might have seen where this is going: the mental "blips" started.

That's what I call them, anyway. They're those little times where, when you're reading something, you suddenly find that you can't remember what you just read; you certainly looked at the words, and maybe even comprehended them, but all of the information went in one eye and out the other. Usually (for me, at least), these blips cover around a paragraph; that's about how long it takes me to notice a piece of information that is confusing without the context before it.

Whenever the blips start, I take it as a sign that I have to take a break. But I had promised myself, and all of you, that I would do this all day, so I pressed on. As the hours dragged by, the blips expanded to a couple paragraphs, then a page, then two pages. Around hour six, I decided that it wasn't worth it going back to reread whenever this happened, and, as a result, the entire middle of the book (I didn't reach the end) is just a featureless blur in my memory.

On top of this, I began to feel the ill effects of sleep deprivation, sickness, and eye strain. Expectedly, I developed a nasty headache, and, just like when I played video games for a whole day, my eyes were bloodshot at the end of the day.

All in all, this might have been the worst Sunday I've had this semester. On top of being an unproductive and not terribly relaxing experience, I can't even remember half of what I read. At this point, I think I'm just going to restart the whole book.

Comments

  1. This was really funny! I don't think I could ever read a novel for 8 hours! I can barely sit and read a book for an hour, depending on how interesting the novel is!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

At Long Last!

Source: Dafne Cholet This Sunday I did... nothing in particular. It was just a normal Sunday. Finally. In practice, it was actually pretty similar to the first week of the blog; I had a bunch of math homework to do. But having the choice to do something else made a huge difference. That's not to say that every Sunday this semester has been bad; in fact, many were far from it. Those days when I simply consumed media, whether it be through reading, watching a movie, or playing a video game were enjoyable enough, for at least most of the day. And some Sundays were downright productive; the day when I did nothing but homework genuinely gave me a head start on Physics 213. But I think the most fun (and occasionally the most painful) days were the weird ones. Standing, playing French horn (though that one wasn't quite a day), writing, coding, lacking sleep. They were all new, and that made them interesting. Until now, I wasn't entirely sure why I did this. Why spend

10 Hours of Homework; or, 5 Hours of Learning

I suppose I should start by explaining what this blog even is. I like to think of myself as a relatively productive person. Despite this, I recently noticed that, with amazing consistency, I spent my Sundays lazing around in my dorm room, doing absolutely nothing of substance. This blog is my little experiment into changing that. Every Sunday of this semester, I am going to do one thing, and only one thing, for the entire day. Other than reasonable breaks for meals and hygiene, I will spend every free moment of my day (totaling about 10 hours on a typical Sunday) devoted to that one thing. I’ll start the semester with activities that one might realistically do for an entire day, like doing homework or watching a TV show, and explore stranger and stranger possibilities as the semester continues. My goal is to document the effects that these activities have on my mental, and in some cases physical, state, providing for you content that is both humorous and interesting. And hey,

Ardui-No Thank You

A screenshot of the Arduino IDE This post requires a bit of background before I jump in. I'm in a club here at Penn State called the Student Space Program Laboratory (SSPL for short). It's pretty much what it sounds like: a space program for students at Penn State. It's most heavily targeted at aerospace engineering students, but students from other disciplines like mechanical or electrical engineering are more than welcome. Now, I should make it clear that the club isn't launching Penn State students, or cars, or anything terribly exciting into space; it's mostly just small satellites. But, still, it's pretty darn cool to have anything in space. But I digress. I'm not actually working on anything this semester that will be shot into space, or even attached to a rocket of an appreciable size. Instead, I'm doing the Student Training Program, or STP. New members of the club are split into groups, and each group designs a payload for a small mod